Many small businesses make the mistake of thinking they don’t need dedicated fleet management solutions. After all, how hard can it be to keep track of the vehicles in a small fleet? This perspective is a mistake and could be costing you money. Let’s talk about why you should invest in management for your small fleet and also some tips to help you start your management program.
Fleet Management is Important for Small Fleets!
Neglecting fleet management can seriously affect your business. Managing your small business’ fleet can make a huge impact on your bottom line. Management involves gathering data about your fleet, analyzing it, and then using that information to optimize operations. With the right management solutions, you can make many strides in making your fleet more efficient, economical, and safe.
Proper management can help address many things, including:
- High fuel costs
- High maintenance costs
- Unexpected repairs
- Unsafe driving behaviors
- Inefficient routes
- Unauthorized fleet vehicle use
- Unbalanced asset utilization
Therefore, whether you have five vehicles or 50, make sure you have a good management program in place with advanced tools for success.
Tips for Managing a Small Fleet
You should always customize fleet management to your business, but there are some tips to help you get started. These tips can help you whether you use commercial vehicle leasing solutions or whether your business owns the vehicles. Here are some tips for small fleets:
- Optimize Routes: The routes your drivers use can have a huge impact on vehicles and fuel consumption. Inefficient routes can not only drive up maintenance and fuel costs, but it also means your business takes more time to complete tasks. This can also drive up payroll costs and can reduce customer satisfaction. So, use GPS data to determine the best routes for your drivers to take. Keep in mind it may not be the shortest by distance, depending on the traffic and other information.
- Reward Good Driving Behavior: Good driving behaviors help your fleet in many ways. It can reduce fuel costs, maintenance costs, and also reduce risks for accidents. In turn, it may also reduce insurance costs for your small business. It can also be a great morale boost to run competitions and offer incentives for drivers who engage in safe, efficient driving behaviors.
- Look at the Big Picture: It’s a common mistake when first beginning a fleet vehicle management program to look at the details and forget the big picture. Managing a fleet isn’t about micromanaging your fleet or worrying about fuel consumption being higher for one day. Make sure you use the data to look at overall trends and monitor for changes that can affect your fleet. This, like the success of your business, is about playing the long game.
Commercial Vehicle Leasing & Management Solutions from Glesby Marks
At Glesby Marks, we are your single source for commercial vehicle leasing and management solutions. We offer a wide range of services to help you improve operations. From leasing you the vehicles you need to providing state-of-the-art fleet technology for monitoring and management, you know we will take care of you. We work with fleet owners across the country, so whether you need Seattle fleet management or fuel management in Houston, our team is here for you. Call us now at (800) 482-9798 to discuss your fleet’s needs with our experts.