There are many things you need to worry about for your Houston fleet management program. With spring fast approaching, we may experience more rain here in H-Town. Therefore, it’s the perfect time to start taking a hard look at your vehicles and training your drivers to stay safe in the rain. Remember, 73% of weather-related crashes occur because of wet pavement and 46% happen during rainfall. In this article, we’ll discuss fleet safety for rain and how to keep your drivers, vehicles, and cargo safe.
If you need fleet solutions for leasing or management, get in touch with our experts at Glesby Marks now – call us at (800) 482-9498.
Why Worry About Rain for Houston Fleet Management?
Rain is a serious threat to your fleet. Rainy conditions affect visibility and can reduce traction on the roads. Not to mention, many people that your drivers share the road with may not feel comfortable or know how to drive in the rain properly. All this can create the perfect potion for not only delays and frustration, but crashes.
That’s why it’s so important to consider rain and how it affects your Houston fleet management program. Making sure that your vehicles are in top shape for wet conditions is essential for safety. Additionally, you want to make sure that your drivers have the right training to drive safely in the rain.
Tips for Preparing Your Fleet for Rain
Every fleet is different, but there are some things you can do to help improve fleet safety during rain. When it comes to Houston fleet management, you can check a few things to make sure all your vehicles are rain-worthy, such as:
- Tires: Make sure the tires are in good condition to provide the most traction on wet pavement.
- Brakes: Worn brakes will delay stopping and slowing even more than rain.
- Windshield Wipers: Maintaining visibility is critical during storms of any kind. Windshield wipers are important for this function.
- Headlights: Another thing that helps maintain visibility for drivers during rain is working headlights.
If your vehicles need a significant amount of work to get them rain-worthy, then it may be time for an upgrade. Houston commercial vehicle leasing can help you take advantage of the ideal service life of vehicles without huge upfront costs.
Also, you want to make sure that your drivers know a few rain driving tips, such as:
- Slow Down: Higher speeds increase the risk for losing control of the vehicle, so encourage drivers to slow down in wet conditions.
- Give Plenty of Space: Similarly, make sure there’s plenty of space between vehicles in case of slippery conditions.
- Use Headlights: A good rule of thumb is to turn on the headlights every time you use windshield wipers, as storms usually reduce visibility.
- Hydroplane Safely: Sometimes hydroplaning is unavoidable, so make sure drivers know how to do so safely. First, keep the wheel traveling in the correct direction. Then, remove your foot from the gas. Don’t brake or accelerate. Don’t use the gas until you regain traction.
Houston Commercial Vehicle Leasing & Management from Glesby Marks
When you need fleet solutions, choose our experts at Glesby Marks. We assist with a wide range of services for your fleet, including fleet management and fleet leasing. Our team can help you find the perfect tools for your needs. We operate throughout the country, with locations in Houston, Denver, Seattle, and Portland to serve you. Call us at (800) 482-9498 to discuss your fleet needs with our specialists.