Hydrogen fuel cells may soon revolutionize the transportation industry by offering a new and practical way to power fleet vehicles. The clean electric power made possible by these fuel cells can be used to provide primary or backup power for delivery trucks. Your Houston commercial fleet leasing company can provide you with the latest information on these advanced power systems and how they can help your company
How Do Fuel Cells Work?
Hydrogen fuel cells depend on the interaction between hydrogen and oxygen to create electrical power. This process requires a catalyst that splits the electrons from these elements to create electricity. This also generates heat and creates water, making hydrogen fuel cells one of the cleanest ways to power vehicles.
How Fuel Cells Are Already Changing the Transportation Industry
Major manufacturers are developing prototype vehicles that will run on hydrogen fuel cells or will use these cells as backup for conventional gas-powered engines. Toyota, Tesla, Cummins and Nikola Motors have already announced and, in some cases, debuted prototypes of vehicles that run on clean, renewable hydrogen cell technology.
- Toyota is currently testing its Alpha Truck at its Toyota Logistics Services facility in the Port of Los Angeles. This heavy-duty Class 8 truck incorporates hydrogen fuel cells and electric motors to reduce emissions and ensure the most efficient use of energy. In September 2018, Toyota announced a partnership with the California Air Resources Board to produce 10 more trucks for use in the Port of Los Angeles area.
- The Nikola One Class 8 prototype was introduced in 2016. Nikola Motors is currently accepting reservations for this hydrogen-powered vehicle, which reportedly can run for up to 1,000 miles on a single charge.
These vehicles offer significant benefits for the environment and will streamline Houston fleet maintenance tasks in the future.
Benefits of Fuel Cell Vehicles
Some of the most important benefits of vehicles powered by hydrogen fuel cells include the following:
- Fuel cells operate silently or with minimal noise, reducing the amount of ambient sound on streets and highways.
- Vehicles that operate on fuel cells can reduce or eliminate dependence on fossil fuels, which can significantly reduce their impact on the environment.
- Hydrogen fuel cells can produce significantly more torque and horsepower.
- Because fuel cells require fewer moving parts to function, they can streamline the maintenance process.
At Glesby Marks, we are committed to staying on the cutting edge of Houston fleet management and fleet leasing. We work with your company to determine the most practical and cost-effective solutions for your fleet. To learn more about the future of hydrogen fuel cell vehicles and what they might mean for your business, call us today at 1-800-482-9498. We look forward to the opportunity to work with you.